Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day of School


Today was the officially first day of school, although Sis did Kinder academy a couple weeks ago which consisted of a week of half days.
Sis woke up raring to go.

"Are you really going to Kindergarten?" I asked. "I'm ready Mom," was her reply.
When I took her to school she paid her lunch money by herself and disappeared while I was helping with PTA in the hallway. I found her in her classroom beginning her daily routine. She was so at ease she barely told me goodbye, though I insisted on staying through the reading of "The Kissing Hand".
Bro was not so enthusiastic however. He suggested perhaps homeschooling for the year.

By the time I picked them up Bro was a changed man. "My teacher is really nice," he told me with a grin. Another perk is that he gets to pick where he sits and currently has a desk next to a friend from around the block.

When I picked Sis up I learned her day didn't go as smoothly as planned. She had trouble finishing her lunch in the time allotted and got left in the lunchroom while the rest of K-2nd went to recess. She sat unnoticed through the older kids lunch(over 20 minutes) until the end when she started to cry and a 5th grader alerted a para-pro who walked her back to class. The teacher and I were both raging mad. After I talked to the principal about the incident he apologized profusely to me and gave Sis some balloons, which apparently mended all. I'm seriously considering tying one of the balloons around her waist so she'll be impossible to miss!

My day went quicker and was easier than planned. I watched Landon during Heidi's appointment and then baked a surprise for the kids that they were pretty excited about, a brownie cake in the shape of a pencil.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Looks like the cake turned out well...it's super cute! Sorry to hear Am had a rough first day...I almost cried hearing that she shed tears! However, very glad to hear bro had a good day and a brighter outlook! Thanks again for watching Landon!

MindySue said...

Wow!! I would have been raging mad too! Poor little thing! Love the cake though. What do I have to do to get one of those? ;)

Karmen said...

What a post! You had me laughing and wiping tears away! Never a dull moment at your house. Love the kids 1st day pictures. Glad most of the first day went well, but sad about Ame - I am sure she will soon be speaking up for herself. The cake was such a neat thing for you to do - that's the one that made me teary-eyed! I'm missing you all so much! Love, Mom/Granny