Friday, March 19, 2010

Golden Acorn

I was honored last night with the Golden Acorn award for outstanding volunteer of the year.
I'd been brushing off the recognition since learning I had won at the beginning of the month as there are so many people just as deserving as I am. Plus I didn't really want to attend some big fancy ceremony where people say nice things about me until my eyes well up in front of an audience.

In the end, I am thankful for the honor. A scholarship will be given in my name to a deserving child this year, which is pretty cool. It's nice to know that others appreciate the things I do, although that's not why I do it. And the kids were very proud and hopefully will be willing to give of themselves as they grow older.

They were however disappointed in the pin. They both thought I would receive a real acorn of gold!

4 comments:

Melissa Paul said...

You totally deserve recognition for all that you do! Way to go!

Anonymous said...

It's about time. It is so nice to see you recognized for all the time and effort you put in. Those of us who know you have realized this for a long time.

I am so proud of you and your accomplishments as a young beautiful woman and as a wonderful mother. Love you, Dad

Karmen said...

Yaahoo! I'm so proud of you and so glad you received this honor. Helping at the kids school is a big job in itself, but president of the PTA on top of that is HUGE! Most people would not even try. Not to mention the book fairs, being the popcorn lady, etc., etc. Congratulations and here'a a big hug to you - can you feel it? Love, Mom xo

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Heather! You are a good girl doing good things in this world. Most importantly a great wife and fabulous mom! I mean this sincerely.
Debra