Monday, October 13, 2008

A New Smile for Little Sis

Little Sis had her first visit to the ER yesterday. She was playing with a toy when our older dog bumped her, knocking her face first into the slate coffee table. Hubby scolded the dog and ran with sis into the kitchen where he looked into her mouth and stated that her teeth were "all bashed up". I looked in and saw mass amounts of blood and a tooth dangling. We then rushed to the ER, where the doc attempted to push the tooth back into the socket. He then called around for an orthodontist, but it seems that neither of the hospitals here have an on-call one. He ended up placing a call to Harborview's on-call orthodontist, who told him that there was really nothing more that could be done tonight but that we should see our dentist first thing in the morning.
I took Little Sis into our regular dentist this morning and he said that the tooth would have to be removed, as it would most likely abscess if left in. So he yanked it. Little Sis was very brave, no tears until the last part of the numbing. She did freak out a little about the numbness in her face though, yet allowed the dentist to get in there to pull the tooth. The staff was amazed at how well it went and awarded her with many stickers.
Little Sis thought perhaps the tooth fairy would bring a real kitty. I told her that the tooth fairy couldn't carry live animals, but would bring special toy or money instead. She has decided that she isn't quite ready to trade her tooth in, so it will remain in it's special box for a few days.

Anyway, she is doing great tonight... no complaints of pain, back to her daredevil self, although her speech has a new sound to it. Big Bro is slightly miffed that his sister has lost a tooth before him, especially when all the kids in his class are loosing teeth left and right! And my heart hurts a little for the lost tooth, the new smile and the resulting speech change. But hey, as I am constantly reminded, a new tooth will replace it (in 3 or 4 years!).


The ERBailey felt really bad for Sis last night and loved up on her after we returned home.All gauzed up after our visit to the dentist.The Missing ToothShe still has a beautiful smile!

6 comments:

Melissa Paul said...

Awww. Poor girl. Hope she is feeling better!

I have to ask - is there going to be a scrapbook page about the ER visit? Does it go before or after "baby's first tattoo"?

Kim R. said...

We love you Miss A! Come over and I will give you pockets......Glad you could cpme hang out with us Mr C.

Anonymous said...

I think it's very appropriate that as I read Am's tooth story, "Bad Day" was playing! My heart aches for her and her tooth too but I tell ya, now even people that don't know how tough she is will see it every time she smiles. Give my niece big hugs from me!
Heidi

Karmen said...

What a stressful experience for the whole family! You're right, her smile is just as cute as ever. It was reasurring to see the sparkle in her eyes. I can't believe how long that root was for a baby tooth. She must have hit it just right on the table. I feel bad for her too. Please give her hugs and kudos for being so brave!
Love, Mom/Granny

Anonymous said...

Oh Ammie you are still beautiful!!
Sometimes these experiences can be more traumatic for mom and dad than the child.
Yes Heather another tooth will replace this one in a few years but I understand how it will feel until it is replaced. We just have to be grateful it wasn't an eye or a gash with a huge scar. It is truly amazing that little ones get through it all relatively in one piece.
I agree Amiee, I would not want anyone to be taking my tooth yet either! Love, Grandma V

Anonymous said...

Heather, many strong feelings came rushing back reading of your little ones loss of her tooth. Craig fell and knocked his two front teeth out when he was 18 months old. I will never forget the feeling I had as we rushed him to the Dentist. They pushed them back in too, but later had to pull them. He wasn't able to eat apples without me cutting them up until he was much older. I feel for you so much and Ammie! It will grow back though and that is the good news. Just ask Craig. Hugs to you both! Hard having active kids huh? Love you, Aunt Cheryl