Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This week's sob story

It has been a sad few days in our home. Our dryer died late Saturday night. It will still turns on and heats but the drum no longer tumbles. The fact the dryer was purchased brand new only two years ago has me fuming. It is that M****G brand that advertises it's repair men never have anything to do as their appliances work so well. Yet we have had multiple problems with both the dryer and washer. Maybe I should sue for false advertising!

I have been hanging our clothes outside all week. Bro is terribly embarrassed to have his undies fluttering around on the line in the breeze. I feel like I should be donning a long prairie dress, bonnet and apron. I keep thinking I am really glad that I was born in this century as I don't think I would last long without modern day appliances.

I was sure that I could fix it so I did a little research on the Internet and pulled the dryer all apart. I went to the appliance store and picked up a new belt which I installed all by myself. I was feeling a little smug as I plugged our reassembled dryer back in. Then I opened the door and realized the interior light wasn't turning on. I rearranged some wires and now the light turns on...when you close the door. Oh and the dryer will also start only with the door wide open. To make matters worse, it still does not tumble.

So much for the home-based appliance repair business I had dreams of opening.

4 comments:

MindySue said...

You may come to my house ANY time and use my dryer. I mean it. Then you can either leave and come back, or just sit on my couch and read. Best Laundromat Ever. and no fees.

I also know a very nice, honest appliance guy who will come and tell you how much to fix it.

Karmen said...

Sad story Heather, but I laughed the whole time I read it. You do NOT have a dry sense of humor! So, I hope you took Mindy up on her offer of finding a good repair guy. It's bad enough doing laundry, but not having a dryer is tough! Love you! Mom

Melissa Paul said...

Oh No! My appliances have obviously been communicating with YOUR appliances. Watch out, your hair dryer is probably next to commit suicide!

Anonymous said...

So sorry about the dryer! You are so much more brave than I am. I hate it that I cannot fix everything myself but sometimes i have to call a repairman. (I am waiting for the bill from the AC guy, even as we speak) Debra