Saturday, August 22, 2009

A Wild Saturday Night

The kids left the sliding door wide open tonight. Almost 20 minutes had passed before we caught this error. By then our house was covered with fruit flies, which are rampant around here this time of year. We have had them in the past and they are very hard to get rid of, especially since they take up residence in the kitchen where we most definitely do not want to use pesticides.

But we found a new solution, and I must admit it is a good time (that is as much fun as you can have exterminating the house!). Our secret.... my old blow dryer.

So we chased the fruit flies around the house pointing the back end of the hair dryer at the tiny insects. They are then sucked into the dryer and promptly fried up by the hot element inside. I couldn't help giggling a little as I took my revenge on these pests, regardless of the gross fried flies stuck to the screen of the dryer. That's okay as this dryer is officially no longer a beauty aid. It has now been designated as a weapon.

Feeling sorry for the little guys? Well take a look at how gross they are, (granted this is a greatly magnified photo. I myself had no idea these creatures were so hideous before this post.)


So what did you do on Saturday night?

We went fruit fly hunting. Beat that!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys are great! I imagine the kids had a great time with it all. Where was Cameron during the party? Debra

Anonymous said...

Well, we didn't spend our Saturday night killing God's creatures!
Always enjoy your blog. Thanks

Keith

Heather said...

Wow, Uncle Keith, way to make me feel guilty. Next time I will set a live trap and have them shipped to your house where they can live happily ever after!
It's nice to see that your reading the blog. Thanks for your comment.

Anonymous said...

Heather I can't stop laughing!! I can just see all of you running all over the house. LOL Aunt Cheryl