Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Do People eat Squirrels?

Tonight, while tucking my six-year-old into bed, he asked me "Do people eat squirrels?". I told him not really and he said "But we eat cows." And somehow this conversation, which only lasted about 5 minutes progressed from eating squirrels to eating cows to eating horse to nursing babies. So what I assumed would be a simple answer turned into quite the conversation. We had to talk about why babies nurse, where the milk comes from, why the babies can't just drink cows milk and how the milk gets from the mommy to the baby. And then, just as I was running out of tactful answers, he said "Okay, goodnight mommy" and turned over to go to sleep! Man, what I would give to crawl into the mind of a curious child and watch those gears turning.
It amazes me that I have spent all this time planning for the appropriate age to talk with my child about certain subjects and how much information he is ready for and yet it seems like the child is able to determine what questions need to be asked and when he has had enough information. Maybe that's one thing I can mark off my mommy worry list!

1 comment:

Karmen said...

Ahhh, Heather, how precious! You're right, don't worry about the questions they will ask, as children tend to ask only what they need and want to know about at that moment. That's not to say that they don't always keep us on our toes! One tends to worry about the child that doesn't ask questions! :-)
So now that you have answered this question, he will probably see that man on TV that goes to different places and eats anything and everything gross! Then you will get to answer that one!
Love, Mom